Hi you guys! Lauren here, with the BEST egg sandwich you'll ever eat (seriously). I'll pre-apologize to any vegetarians out there, because the key ingredient here is bacon. Specifically, bacon jam... We recently came across this magical substance when eating lunch at one of our favorite neighborhood cafes, and my husband didn't waste any time trying to make it himself at home.
It's nothing short of delicious and a serious upgrade to the regular old egg sandwich. I mean, what's not to love about bacon--in jam form--on an egg sandwich after all? It's surprisingly simple to make (promise!), so keep reading for the recipe...
First things first, you chop up the bacon and cook it. Then you're going to cook it down with onions, garlic, brown sugar, maple syrup, balsamic and grainy mustard. It's eventually going to turn into a jam as it slowly cooks...
Bacon Jam Ingredients
1 12-ounce package of center-cut bacon, diced
1 cup sliced onions, half red and half white
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon bacon grease from cooking (discard the rest)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
1/4 cup chicken stock, plus 1 tablespoon
Bacon Jam Instructions
1. Cook bacon over medium-low heat, until cooked but not crispy. Discard the bacon grease, but reserve 1 tablespoon of it.
2. Back in the pan, cook onion and garlic in the reserved bacon grease until softened. Add brown sugar and coat the onions.
3. Add maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, mustard and chicken broth. Fold in the bacon and simmer until reduced, about 5 minutes. After thickened and jammy, add the extra tablespoon of chicken stock to thin it back out just a bit.
4. Transfer the bacon jam mixture to a food processor and pulse, just until your desired jam consistency. Store in an airtight jar or container, in the refrigerator, until ready to use.
Egg Sandwich Ingredients
1 slice of miche (large round loaf of French sourdough bread), toasted
2 slices of gruyere
1 kale leaf, torn and sauteed until crispy
1 fried egg
Egg Sandwich Instructions
1. Spread bacon jam on toast.
2. Top with gruyere slices, kale and fried egg.
3. Close your eyes and take a big, delicious bite!
-post & photos by lauren craig