Hello again MBG readers! It's Heather from The Lovely Cupboard, and I've got a something sweet to share today. Are you looking for a dessert to serve up on Valentine's Day?
This trifle is fresh, light, and feels decadent all at the same time. Pomegranates, navel oranges, and blood oranges not only taste wonderful together, but they have the look for the occasion too. Here's what you need to pick up at the store.
1. Start by cutting the navel and blood oranges into "supremes", or slices without the pulp. Set aside.
2. In a sauce pan, heat 1/3 cup of marmalade and 1/3 glass of OJ on medium heat until the marmalade has dissolved and the liquid begins to bubble slightly. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. Combine 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, 1/4 cup of sugar, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and 8 ounces of mascarpone cheese (a soft, slightly sweet Italian cheese that looks a bit like cream cheese). Mix in an electric or hand mixer until stiff peaks form.
(Typically 4-5 minutes)
4. Begin assembling the trifle by dipping the lady finger cookies in the marmalade mixture and stacking on the bottom of your trifle bowl.
5. Once the bottom of the dish is covered in cookies, add the cream mixture with a rubber spatula, spreading evenly.
6. Layer slices of the oranges and a handful of the pomegranate seeds.
7. Continue layering cookies, cream, and fruit until the dish is filled. Top with remaining fruit.
8. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving.
Isn't it almost too pretty to eat?
-images & post by Heather Freeman