For those of you who keep up with hair trends, you know this Summer it's been all about braids. They've been everywhere from the streets to the Fashion runways at the Tony & Guy events. With that said, I arranged a collaboration between hairstylist, Gina Guercia of Oscar Blandi & Made By Girl to do a (simple) hair tutorial here at my apartment in NYC.
This is not an average tutorial where we show you on video step-by-step - it's just a fun DIY that you'll have to try out for yourself. Trust me, I had no idea how-to-do a fishtail braid, but I learned after this experience + there are a ton of other You Tube vids you can watch that are more in-depth than mine. Below we do have a simple tutorial in writing - with a few pics!
Hope you enjoy this.
HOW TO CREATE YOUR OWN CROWN BRAID HALF-UP:
- Prep the Oscar Blandi Pronto Braid Paste. This will control short stubborn hairs around the hairline & give your braid grip and fullness.
- Brush section with a natural Bristle Brush, you can use the Sam Villa Styling & Detangling Brush
- this will remove tangles and create a smoother surface to start with.
- Start with a 3 strand braid. As you work down, only add hair from the hairline side. This will create a cool crown-like effect around the head. Secure the braid with an elastic.
- Pinch & pull out the braid to expand & add texture, this will also make the braid appear fuller.
- Repeat this on the opposite side.
- In the back of the hair, drag the braid over the opposite side & secure with a pin. If possible try to hide the pin thru the hair. Repeat on the opposite side.
- For the final look and when ready, spray Oscar Blandi Lacca Medium Hold Hairspray
I ended up opting to have the bottom-half braided into a fishtail braid instead, but you can wear both styles just as easily. I asked Gina to braid a fishtail & she was all for it! I love how it made the braid effect even more obvious. My hair isn't normally this long, we actually used a couple of hair extension clip-ins from Luxy Hair.
They have a fantastic selection of 100% real Remy hair. No one would ever know it wasn't your REAL hair!! Plus, it made the braid look even thicker !!!!!!!!!!! - I LOVE hair clip-ins.
Ta Da!!!! The Finished look!
Watch the video below, but please NOTE..... the video below has music, so turn down your sound a bit:
Gina did a fantastic job don't you think??! Love. She's based out of NYC & you can get in touch with her here.
-post by jen ramos