Hi MBG readers! Lauren from Perpetually Chic dropping in today. With fall in full force and temperatures starting to drop as we head into the next season, there's nothing more comforting than a warm bowl of hearty soup.
This recipe is hard not to like, easy as can be and healthier than calling for pizza in a pinch. Have you made pizza soup before? I'd love to hear, and keep reading for my version!
- 2 links Italian sausage
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 28 ounces of peeled, diced tomatoes
- 1.5 cups marinara sauce
- 28 ounces chicken broth
- 2 cups zucchini, sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 30 slices of turkey pepperoni (the turkey kind has 70% less fat)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- Remove sausage from casing and crumble. Discard casing.
- Place sausage in large pot over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until brown. Remove sausage from pot and set aside.
- Add mushrooms and onions, saute until onions are tender.
- Add cooked sausage, tomatoes, marinara sauce, chicken broth, zucchini and bell pepper. Stir and return mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 6-8 minutes or until veggies are crisp but tender.
- Add pepperoni and simmer one minute more.
- Pour into bowls, sprinkle with mozzarella and garnish with black olives if desired.
-post & images by Lauren Craig