Paired with sweet dried cranberries, crunchy walnuts and creamy blue cheese, this salad is packed with flavor and filling enough to be a meal on its own. Read on for the recipe!
Try to find a good quality, fresh blue cheese and crumble it yourself. You can certainly use the pre-crumbled kind, but I promise you won't regret spending a few extra dollars on this one ingredient.
Quick tip: Be careful not to overcook the Brussels sprouts, which become very bitter if cooked for too long.
For the Dressing
- 3 tablespoons of good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- Butternut squash, peeled and cut into one-inch pieces
- Dried cranberries
- Walnuts, crumbled
- A nice blue cheese, crumbled
- Red romaine lettuce, chopped or torn
- To make the dressing, whisk together the vinegar and dijon mustard. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while continuing to whisk, until mixed well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a pan over medium-high heat, sauté the Brussels sprouts and squash with a very small piece of butter. Cook, turning occasionally and drizzling with a little olive oil, until browned and fork tender but still crisp. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, toss lettuce with balsamic dressing. Transfer lettuce onto plates, then top with the warm Brussels sprouts and squash, cranberries, walnuts and blue cheese.
-post & images by Lauren Craig