Hello Lovelies! It's Heather from the Lovely Cupboard.
Most of us need a little break from our holiday indulging, but that doesn't mean that we have to kick sweets all together. I've got a very healthy sweet treat that even your vegan friends will enjoy. These raw peanut balls are quick, healthy, and very easy to make. No baking required. My mom made a version of these peanut butter balls when I was growing up. I decided to take them up a notch with orange marmalade and coconut flakes. Here's what you'll need to pick up at the store:
1. Pulse 1 cup of rolled oats in a food processor until they are coarsely ground.
2. Add ground oats, 1/2 cup of peanut butter, 1/3 cup of marmalade, 1/4 cup of raisins, and 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds to a large bowl and stir to combine. (I added a splash of orange juice to the mix, but this is optional. If you don't have OJ, add one more tablespoon of marmalade and one teaspoon of water.)
3. Using a large melon baller or teaspoon, scoop out mixture and roll in your hands until a ball forms. Place on wax paper.
4. Roll in coconut flakes (I used dried, unsweetened coconut flakes). If you use cocoa, sprinkle it on top rather rolling the ball in cocoa.
5. This should make about 16 treats. Allow to chill in fridge 30 minutes before serving. These can be frozen and eaten up to two weeks later. Enjoy!
You could use this recipe and add any array of things. I've always wanted to try dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds or even coarsely chopped dark chocolate and crystalized ginger. Maybe I'll make another batch with my left over peanut butter!
What are some of your favorite healthy treats?
-images & post by Heather Freeman