Hey MBG readers, it's Monday morning! This is Caren from Inspired Coast. I'm in the midst of a food crush with kale. Weird, I know, but kale is actually a pretty trendy veggie right now. This salad is super easy, stands up for a long time and tastes out of this world!
Kale is a super food and a powerhouse of nutrition, but can inhibit the body’s absorption of calcium, so all the more reason to stick with the tofu and bypass the dairy for this dish. Unlike most leafy salads, kale is a really hardy leafy green and won’t start wilting the minute you add your dressing to it, so it’s also a great dish to bring to potlucks or just any dinner where you think there might be a shortage of healthy choices!
Tofu + Kale Salad - Serves 2 to 4
- One or two heads of kale (a mix of dinosaur and curly is best)
- 1/2 or 1 full pkg of sprouted baked tofu
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- ½ shallot finely chopped
- 1/4 avocado, cut into small peices
- 1 tablespoon of pre-toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop kale very finely, to smaller than bite size pieces and add to a large bowl - this is really important!.
- In a smaller bowl, add chopped shallot, minced garlic, oil, vinegar, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Cut avocado and tofu into very small, bite-sized pieces and add to kale
- Pour dressing mixture over chopped kale and tofu and mix well with your hands
- Add toasted sesame seeds and more salt and pepper to taste
-post and images by caren